Merrillville, IN, USA
- Reports to the Deputy General Counsel Environmental.
- Located in Merrillville, IN.
- Provides legal advice to clients on complex matters.
- Combines knowledge of one or more legal specialties with sound business acumen, and knowledge of business goals and objectives.
- Has significant experience and subject matter expertise. Will typically have at least 5 years of experience in environmental law.
- Resolves legal issues and provides proactive, business-savvy legal advice and counsel.
- Manages complex matters.
- Retains and supervises/manages outside counsel on select matters.
- Anticipates internal/external business and regulatory issues and provides applicable legal advice.
- Reviews and revises legal documents.
- Negotiates with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes.
- Assists in training clients on legal issues.
- Communicates with clients regarding status updates.
Practice Area Specific Skills/Requirements:
- Strong counseling skills ¿ able to work closely with clients
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Knowledge of state and federal environmental laws
- Knowledge of interaction between state and federal environmental laws and agencies
- Litigation skill set
- Problem solving skills
- Comfortable with basic science, engineering and chemistry principals
- Presentation skills
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others
- Experience with independent case handling responsibility
- Ability to function autonomously
- Ability to balance the legal issues of a project with the goals of the business through the demonstration of strong, pragmatic business acumen and the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice
- Strong, logical legal mind with the ability to apply abstract concepts of law to make timely, well-reasoned and appropriate decisions to solve problems
- Ability to work efficiently under time pressures and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Adaptable to changing environments.
- Sound judgment
- Strong leadership, managerial and interpersonal skills, including ability to engender trust, respect and confidence
- Experience in the utility industry or other regulated industry is strongly preferred
- Experience at a law firm or publically traded corporation preferred
- Experience with the health and safety laws, enterprise records management, emergency response, or business continuity preferred
- Overtime and some travel (5-10%) are required.
- Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state in the U.S. and a member in good standing with the state bar
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For immediate consideration, please apply on-line at careers.nisource.com before May 8th!
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Senior Counsel – Environmental ]