At Genworth, we empower families to navigate the aging journey with confidence. We are compassionate, experienced allies for those navigating care with guidance, products, and services that meet families where they are. Further, we are the spouses, children, siblings, friends, and neighbors of those that need care—and we bring those experiences with us to work in serving our millions of policyholders each day.
We apply that same compassion and empathy as we work with each other and our local communities. Genworth values all perspectives, characteristics, and experiences so that employees can bring their full, authentic selves to work to help each other and our company succeed. We celebrate our diversity and understand that being intentional about inclusion is the only way to create a sense of belonging for all associates. We also invest in the vitality of our local communities through grants from the Genworth Foundation, event sponsorships, and employee volunteerism.
Our four values guide our strategy, our decisions, and our interactions:
- Make it human. We care about the people that make up our customers, colleagues, and communities.
- Make it about others. We do what’s best for our customers and collaborate to drive progress.
- Make it happen. We work with intention toward a common purpose and forge ways forward together.
- Make it better. We create fulfilling purpose-driven careers by learning from the world and each other.
Senior Accounting Manager
Remote US (Eastern or Central Time Zones)
This position is available to Virginia or North Carolina residents as Richmond, Virginia or Raleigh, NC in-office applicants, respectively, with a hybrid work schedule or remote applicants residing in states/locations under Eastern or Central Standard Time: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington DC, Vermont, West Virginia or Wisconsin.
As a Finance team member, you’ll play a key role in supporting the financial strength and flexibility that enables us to be there when our policyholders need us – now and in the future.
Reporting to the Director of Accounting, Corporate Finance, you will manage all aspects of the Company’s consolidation accounting process and provide subject matter expertise over the general ledger and equity accounting. You will also play an integral role in all corporate controllership matters; including but not limited to, compliance, financial reporting and analysis and the accounting of holding company debt. You will also support the overall strategy of the Company and safeguard its general ledger to ensure the Company’s financial integrity is maintained.
What you will be doing
- Manage and provide subject matter expertise on all aspects of the Company’s consolidation process and general ledger:
- Govern the chart of accounts
- Execute consolidation accounting, including operational compliance
- Research and consult on various transactions to ensure complete and accurate recordkeeping while maintaining the integrity and control of our book of record, the general ledger
- Troubleshoot all general ledger inquiries, such as how to record transactions and related best practices
- Demonstrate knowledge of foreign currency transactions, both remeasurement and translation per ASC 830, and provide oversight and instruction on how the general ledger calculates foreign currency transactions to ensure proper recognition in both functional and reporting sets of books
- Collaborate with IT on all matters impacting the Company’s general ledger and control environment
- Support businesses and functional areas on all aspects of the general ledger
- Lead the quarterly financial close process with the assistance of a dedicated cross-functional team:
- Facilitate the late correcting entry process, as deemed necessary during the quarterly close process
- Manage the quarterly balance sheet analysis and support the Director of Accounting, Corporate Finance to enhance the departments analytics, including supporting change management
- Drive integrity and objectivity throughout the organization culminating in the business representation process
- Support the SEC reporting process to drive continuous improvement in the quality and timeliness of the Company’s external reporting
- Manage a high performing team that focuses principally on:
- The monthly/quarterly close process, ensuring targets are adhered to and efficiencies are gained
- Development and coordination of the overall close calendar, while fostering a mutually beneficial partnership with the businesses and functional areas to drive close efficiencies
- The account reconciliation process, safeguarding the integrity of our significant accounts that support our financial records and controls
- Compilation of the standard financial statements
- The accounting of the Company’s holding company debt, supporting strategic efforts to de-lever
- Support the Company’s strategic initiatives by establishing the proper general ledger structure and controls to facilitate investments in new products and services
- Train and develop current and future employees to enhance their professional development and enrich the work environment
- Foster a control environment that rewards integrity and objectivity while ensuring all related internal controls are consistently adhered to and executed timely with precision
- Support special projects as necessary
What you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- 5+ years of experience managing a team
- Extensive knowledge of consolidation accounting
- Expertise in general ledger systems (Oracle preferred)
- Extensive and demonstrated knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including ASC 830 – Foreign Currency Matters
- Proficiency in data analysis that supports compiling impactful analytics and presentations
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills, including an ability to leverage software packages
- Ability to apply accounting theory to accounting practice
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse group with cross functional teams
- Ability to proactively identify potential challenges and offer solutions
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- At this time, Genworth will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Employee Benefits & Well-Being
Genworth employees make a difference in people’s lives every day. We’re committed to making a difference in our employees’ lives.
- Competitive Compensation & Total Rewards Incentives
- Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage
- Multiple 401(k) Savings Plan Options
- Auto Enrollment in Employer-Directed Retirement Account Feature (100% employer-funded!)
- Generous Paid Time Off – Including 12 Paid Holidays, Volunteer Time Off and Paid Family Leave
- Disability, Life, and Long Term Care Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement, Student Loan Repayment and Training & Certification Support
- Wellness support including gym membership reimbursement and Employee Assistance Program resources (work/life support, financial & legal management)
- Caregiver and Mental Health Support Services
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Senior Accounting Manager (Remote) ]