1821 South Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80916 ; 685 N Murray Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80915
Pikes Peak Library District
DATE POSTED: January 24, 2022
PRIMARY LOCATION: 1821 South Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80916
685 N Murray Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80915
STARTING WAGE: $15.30 per hour + full benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week per the following schedule:
Position #151050006 – Sand Creek Library Position # 151050010 – Ruth Holley Library
Monday : 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sunday : OFF
Tuesday – Thursday : 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday : OFF
Friday : OFF Tuesday – Saturday : 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday : 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday : OFF
On call duty depends on the staffing levels
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
- Complete a PPLD online application located at org on/Jobs the Application tab
- Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
- Requires a cover letter and resume submitted online with application
- If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531-6333, Ext. 6380 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: Online application materials must be received February 01, 2022 at 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant tothe Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender orientation, genetic information, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Regional and Security Supervisor and daily direction from the Branch Manager, supports the Library’s Mission through ensuring the safety of customers and staff, safeguarding PPLD assets, and compliance with policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides excellent customer service, creating a courteous and welcoming atmosphere for customers and staff.
- Greets customers throughout the library, responds to directional inquiries and refers library service questions to appropriate staff.
- Enforces customer and staff compliance with general safety and security policies and procedures; responsible for in-depth knowledge and implementation of the Emergency Action Plan if needed.
- Responds to and investigates disturbances on Library property; escorts unruly or disruptive persons from the premises; reports suspects involved with criminal activity to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Writes clear and detailed incident reports on disturbances and uploads them to the patron incident tracking system.
- Acts as liaison between the Library and local fire departments and law enforcement agencies.
- Maintains records and reports relating to safety and/or insurance issues; maintains customer and staff confidentiality within local, state and federal requirements.
- Maintains current safety training and certification which may include but is not limited to CPR, AED, OSHA, CPI and Narcan training.
- Participates in ongoing staff training; participates in public safety programming for all age groups.
- Secures library at opening and closing; performs periodic checks of facility and grounds; monitors alarm systems and responds to alarm activation (possibly after hours); performs on-call duties as required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- May provide basic circulation desk functions, assist customers with self-checkout or simple public computer questions.
- May serve on library teams or participate in programs.
- Provides access to public meeting rooms and study rooms.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures, especially those pertaining to emergencies and enforcement of rules and regulations (including the PPLD Code of Conduct), and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Knowledge of standard security practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic first aid and proper use of an AED.
- Knowledge of electronic and manual alarm systems.
- Ability to remain calm and exercise sound judgment when making quick decisions in emergency situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population and enforce policies and regulations, verbally or in written form, with courtesy and tact.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with all staff and with local partner agencies.
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Office software, email, Internet search engines, and the ability to learn and use library-specific applications.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
Education and Experience:
- Requires high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Requires at least two years of related experience; experience in a security field or law enforcement position with frequent public contact is preferred.
- Requires valid Colorado driver’s license (or the ability to obtain one upon employment).
- Requires CPR/AED certification (or ability to become certified upon employment).
- Requires passing of a Post Offer Pre-employment Physical test.
- Requires OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen training and certification (or ability to become certified upon employment).
- Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in a normal office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires regular patrols of facility grounds regardless of weather. Position includes occasional lifting up to 50 pounds, standing and walking up to 8 hours on each shift. Position requires responding to audible fire and security alarms. Position requires bending, stooping and stretching.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations. May include dealing with aggressive behavior.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Security Officer ]