City of River Falls Public Works & Utilities, Benson Street, River Falls, WI, USA
City of River Falls
This position is responsible for maintaining and repairing automobiles, trucks, tractors, heavy and light equipment assigned to public works, public safety, and utilities. Performs various types of light to heavy duty metal fabricating tasks and repairs. Mechanics also operate heavy and light equipment, trucks, tractors and other vehicles and equipment in the City fleet as necessary. Mechanics assist with snow plow operations as needed or assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Repair and maintain vehicles and heavy equipment including graders, front end loaders, plows, pickups, sweepers, police, fire and rescue vehicles; includes inspection, service and repair of engines, transmissions, electrical equipment and air systems such as brakes, compressors and tires.
· Performs fabricating procedures such as welding, cutting and repairs as needed.
· Diagnose and trouble shoot problems with vehicles and equipment.
· Repairs diesel and gas engines, brakes, transmissions, hydraulics, electrical systems, air lines and other supporting equipment.
· Responds to emergency calls and jobs that occur.
· Computer use to update work orders.
· Maintain a safe and clean shop working environment.
· Keep up to date records of repairs, maintenance and labor. Work with departments on mileage reports.
· Assisting lead, may order parts with multiple vendors and request cost quotes.
· Assisting lead, may schedule preventive maintenance, warranty work and repair on equipment.
Perform vehicle inspections
· Perform annual and preventive maintenance for vehicle inspections in compliance with state and federal laws.
· Ongoing safety inspections of all equipment.
· Inspect trailers for wear as well as for safe transport.
· Prepare vehicle/equipment for sale or auction.
· Prepare new vehicles/equipment for introduction to the fleet.
Snow and ice control
· Plow City streets, trails and lots as needed.
· Apply salt and or liquid with specific application rates to control ice on streets and lots.
· Maintain a flexible schedule to account for overtime and after-hours response.
· Keep up with the latest snow and ice control techniques and products through assigned trainings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of occupational hazards and safe work practices.
· Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing to receive and give work instructions.
· Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers and the general public.
· Good decision making and problem-solving skills.
· Work effectively with technology – Computers and smart phones.
· Graduation from high school or GED.
· Possession of a valid Class “B” Commercial Driver’s License or must obtain within 3 months of hire date.
· Three years related experience/training in fleet maintenance.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee works near moving mechanical parts; in high precarious places; in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Mechanic (City of River Falls Public Works & Utilities, Benson Street, River Falls, WI, USA) ]