Roanoke, VA, USA
Roanoke Housing Authority
Residential Maintenance, Service, and Repair
Multiple locations with openings throughout City of Roanoke, Virginia
Day Shift, ON-SITE position
Pay range depending on experience: $11.00 to $20.00
This is unskilled and semi-skilled manual laboring and light equipment operation work in the cleaning, lawn care, maintenance (and sometimes general, non-complex repair) of RRHA’s public housing development areas including buildings, offices, common areas, parking lots, and/or related facilities.
- Clean driving record and valid Virginia driver’s license (or ability to obtain w/in 6 months)
- Ability to pass a background check and drug screen
- Work Experience minimum one year in related experience and/or military experience
- Any vocational training or certifications in construction trades or mechanics helpful
- Commitment to our mission to help others
Some of what you would do:
Maintenance Worker experience preferred:
- Custodial tasks/Cleaning vacant units
- Power Equipment/Lawn Mowers/Trimmers
- Vehicle operations/Safe operating
Maintenance Technician experience preferred:
- All of the above for Maint Worker
- Boilers/Furnace/Hot Water Heaters
- Appliance Repairs/Refrigerators/Ranges
- Electrical/Light Fixtures/Switches/ Receptacles
- Hourly position
- Monday through Friday 830am to 5pm, 1-hour unpaid lunch
- Overtime as needed
- Technicians rotate on-call, average one week per month
- Medical/Dental/Vision through State Benefits
- State Retirement Benefits through VRS (Virginia Retirement System)
- Currently, 11 paid holidays and 17 paid days off 1st year
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Normal work responsibilities call for high levels of physical efforts characterized by lifting and hauling loads exceeding fifty (50) pounds many times throughout a normal workday. Other forms of continuous activity include using heavy power tools, the use of which may be required in any outdoor weather conditions. The incumbent is required to perform activities that may include: stooping, crawling, crouching, climbing, and other continuous physical activity; using heavy power-assisted tools, and/or working in very awkward positions almost constantly. All of these conditions require that the incumbent of this position be fully ambulatory and possess normal hearing, vision, and manual dexterity. Incumbents will be required to perform manual labor for protracted periods of time.
- Work Environment: The level of risk in working in and around areas of higher crime incidence is such that it requires some attention to work surroundings to prevent accidents or injuries. In order to maintain the RRHA’s buildings and grounds in a safe and sanitary condition 24 hours a day, this position will require overtime and on-call availability. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Maintenance Supervisor and a Site Manager and is reviewed through inspection of work, upon completion, for the timeliness, quality and results obtained. Incumbent must be able to operate somewhat independently while Management is off-site and/or while working after hours.
This class specification is intended to identify the class and illustrate the kinds of duties that may be assigned to its incumbents. It should not be interpreted as describing all of the duties that may be required of an employee or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments such individuals may be given. This is not an employment contract and does not alter any employee’s at-will employment status. Full Job Description is and will be made available.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Maintenance, Service, and Repair (Residential) ]