Hybrid (Lynchburg, VA or Richmond, VA)
At Genworth, we empower families to navigate the aging journey with confidence. We are compassionate, experienced allies for those navigating care with guidance, products, and services that meet families where they are. Further, we are the spouses, children, siblings, friends, and neighbors of those that need care—and we bring those experiences with us to work in serving our millions of policyholders each day.
We apply that same compassion and empathy as we work with each other and our local communities. Genworth values all perspectives, characteristics, and experiences so that employees can bring their full, authentic selves to work to help each other and our company succeed. We celebrate our diversity and understand that being intentional about inclusion is the only way to create a sense of belonging for all associates. We also invest in the vitality of our local communities through grants from the Genworth Foundation, event sponsorships, and employee volunteerism.
Our four values guide our strategy, our decisions, and our interactions:
- Make it human. We care about the people that make up our customers, colleagues, and communities.
- Make it about others. We do what’s best for our customers and collaborate to drive progress.
- Make it happen. We work with intention toward a common purpose and forge ways forward together.
- Make it better. We create fulfilling purpose-driven careers by learning from the world and each other.
Lynchburg, VA or Richmond, VA
In your role as an Application Developer for COBOL you will support Genworth’s top strategic priorities. The person selected will assist the Long-Term Care Solutions team with implementing complex business concepts into software. There are opportunities to participate in all aspects of the development lifecycle. The individual needs to be proficient in providing technical mainframe support for large applications. The primary role will be supporting multiple application changes involving extensive cross-functional interaction with Business Partners and other IT teams.
CLOAS is a mainframe-based application and is the core Genworth system for Long Term Care Policy Administration. The CLOAS application sits at the center of all policy processing for the business and contains the data and business logic for all customer service operations. The system integrates with many peripheral systems utilizing various technologies including Web Services and MQ. The CLOAS team uses Agile development methodologies and is actively implementing modern tools for development and testing. It is amongst the most active Genworth systems, with multiple ongoing enhancements and upgrades to support evolving business needs.
What you will be doing
- Codes, tests, debugs, implements, and documents moderately complex programs.
- Creates right-sized documentation in work assignments such as program code, and technical documentation.
- Within an Agile framework, designs systems and programs to meet complex business needs. Ensures programs meet desired user stories, coding standards, and technical specifications; performs technical analysis and component delivery.
- Gathers information from user stories and existing systems to analyze program and time requirements.
- Designs programs for projects or enhancements to existing programs.
- Assists support and/or project personnel in resolving moderately complex program problems. Works with client and management to resolve issues and validate programming requirements within their areas of responsibility. Provides technical advice on complex programming.
- Develops unit test plans to verify logic of new or modified programs.
- Conducts peer reviews and design walkthrough of solutions.
- Remains abreast of industry technical trends and new development to maintain current skills and remain current with industry standards.
What you bring
- 4-year college degree or relevant equivalent experience with strong mainframe (COBOL, JCL, CICS, IMS) programming skills and production support experience preferably in insurance/finance domain.
- Excellent analytical skills and a detail-oriented mindset, with ability to understand complex business logic, analyze the system and data, to identify changes needed, and understand impact of changes on the various products and system functionalities.
- Basic experience with SQL and data analysis.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team environment on a complex mainframe system and having good problem-solving skills and a results-oriented outlook.
- Good communication skills ability to work with various stakeholders, managing concurrent deadlines and multiple priorities.
- A continuous improvement mindset, and willingness to adapt to new technologies and ways of working
- Preferred, but not required, qualifications include:
- Experience in a managed services environment, managing to SLA’s and managing work queues.
- Experience working with an onshore-offshore model
- Experience working in an Agile environment (Scrum or Kanban)
- IMS database experience in an MVS and CICS environment
- Advanced SQL programming experience
- Practical knowledge of LTC insurance products and premiums
- Working knowledge of CLOAS Policy Administration System
- Experience with modern mainframe development and testing tools
- Experience working in a multi technology environment with Mainframe and .Net
Employee Benefits & Well-Being
Genworth employees make a difference in people’s lives every day. We’re committed to making a difference in our employees’ lives.
- Competitive Compensation & Total Rewards Incentives
- Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage
- Multiple 401(k) Savings Plan Options
- Auto Enrollment in Employer-Directed Retirement Account Feature (100% employer-funded!)
- Generous Paid Time Off – Including 12 Paid Holidays, Volunteer Time Off and Paid Family Leave
- Disability, Life, and Long-Term Care Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement, Student Loan Repayment and Training & Certification Support
- Wellness support including gym membership reimbursement and Employee Assistance Program resources (work/life support, financial & legal management)
- Caregiver and Mental Health Support Services
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Cobol Developer (Hybrid (Lynchburg, VA or Richmond, VA)) ]