Lockport, IL, USA
As an Automation/Controls Engineer, you must have the desire and motivation to automate process equipment, write and edit PLC programming logic, program and design HMI screens. Have a knowledge of intrinsically safe (IS) barriers or the desire to learn intrinsically safe barrier systems for the area classifications. You will configure process control devices such as flow meters, pressure transmitters, etc. and VFD drives in a batch process manufacturing environment.
Nature and Scope
This position reports to the Engineering Manager. You will be working with the fellow engineering staff along with plant maintenance, production, technical, quality, and safety groups.
The Engineering candidate will be part of a team supporting the design, implementation, testing, and commissioning of a variety of electrical power, control & automation, and Omron PLC systems. You will be esponsible for site wide process automation at company’s Aluminum powder and paste manufacturing facility. You will be responsible for new and existing PLC/HMI platforms running on Omron PLCs. Supervise the installation of instrumentation and control systems including Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) for both Omron and Pepperl + Fuche Intrinsic barrier systems. Provide technical support for existing instrumentation and automation systems. Ability to earn new automation techniologies and suggest/implement new technology to our existing PLC and Automation platforms. Typical duties that the incumbent will be expected to perform will include power/controls circuit and schematic design, PLC designs, AutoCAD drawings and schematics, hands-on fabrication/installation, software programming, and system integration.
The candidate must be a self-starter and willing to learn, able to work independently and as part of a team, and must be comfortable with the PLC/HMI programming and electrical schematics for automation. Typical duties that the successful incumbent will be expected to perform will be as follows;
- Working knowledge of Omron family of PLCs and commercial programs like Omron CX programmer, Omron Sysmac Studio, Indusoft web studio is desired
- Hands on PLC controls system knowledge, PLC programming, instrument programming and integration
- Program HMI and PLC ladder logic and integrate discrete/analog devices
- Provide hands-on on-site support to trouble shoot existing installations, PLCs, HMIs, Instruments and VFD issues
- Understanding of Indusoft SCADA platform is a plus
- Read and understand electrical schematics, ladder logic programs, process flow diagram and process and instrumentation diagrams
- For our Aluminum powder and paste production lines, program, integrate, and support PLC systems used for monitoring and running production units. This includes new installations and existing equipment/system upgrades.
- Design, and troubleshoot Omron family of PLC’s. Select and configure Siemens, Honeywell, Endress + Hauser, and other process automation/instrumentation devices, and variable frequency drives (VFD) used in standard classification and hazardous classification process areas.
- Understanding and working knowledge of communication protocol such as Profibus DP/PA, Ethernet/IP, etc. is desired.
- Design and produce control drawings, including Diagrams, Schematics, and BOM is a plus.
- Understanding of Standards and Code Compliance (NEC, NFPA, UL, FM, ATEX, CE, CSA, etc.) is preferred.
- Technical writing or understanding of Process Functional Description (control narrative) for process industry is a plus.
- Start-up and troubleshooting of equipment and provide technical support.
- Some basic knowledge of drawing electrical schematics using AutoCad is a plus.
- Able to design and produce electrical drawing packages, including Diagrams, Schematics, Conduit and Wire Schedules, necessary Electrical Layouts, and BOMs.
The minimum requirement for this position is:
Engineering degree, technical degree or equivalent.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to interact effectively with team members, managers, co-workers, and customers.
- Strong programming and troubleshooting skills. Ability to analyze problems, new automation system programming and then implementation.
- Familiarity with RS232 and RS485 protocol, Profibus DP/PA protocols, Variable Frequency Drive systems, Motor Control Centers, Analog and Digital signals, Low to Medium power distribution systems.
- Computer proficiency: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Previous industry related experience, mechanical systems, piping, valves, motors and storage tanks experience is a plus.
- Experience in automation industry and the construction of control panels
- Some experience in AutoCAD
- 3 to 5 years of process industry related experience with automation control, PLC Ladder Logic programming, HMI design and configure.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Automation Controls Engineer ]