Emeryville, CA, USA
Alliant International University
Accessibility Specialist (Hybrid-2 days per week on Emeryville Campus)
Alliant International University is a professional practice University committed to excellence in four areas: Education for Professional Practice, Scholarship, Multicultural and International Competence and Community Engagement. The University provides students with the highest quality of education through excellence and innovation in academic scholarship, applied training and research, and community service, particularly to underserved populations. Through its Mission, the University’s goal is to equip students with the competencies they need to provide public benefit and make an impact in their communities by addressing major contemporary social issues. Core competencies of the University’s training programs include cultural diversity, which is infused in courses and field placements and is manifest in the diversity of its students, faculty.
Alliant International University prepares students for professional careers of service and leadership, and promotes the discovery and application of knowledge to improve the lives of people in diverse cultures and communities around the world.
An inclusive world empowered by Alliant alumni.
The Accessibility Specialist, under the general direction of the Assistant Vice President, Student Affairs, will serve as interactive member of the Student Affairs team, including assisting with other departments responsibilities and tasks as assigned. In particular, they will support the Office of Accessibility (OOA) by reviewing supporting documentation and requests for accommodations from students, rendering determinations on appropriate accommodations to ensure access to classes, programs, and facilities for students with disabilities. They will orient, support, and provide guidance to students, faculty, and staff across the University about the student disability accommodations process at the University, and appropriate use of accomodations. In addition, the specialist will assist students in the accommodations process associated with field placements, practicums, internships, and other non-paid placement settings.
Duties & Responsibilties:
- Serve as primary contact for the Office of Accessibility to prospective students, current students, faculty, staff, and visitors at Alliant International University.
- Review and determine eligibility for accommodations for students, by working directly with students to gather additional information, provide information about the request process, and orient students to processes and procedures for approved accommodations.
- Determine appropriate academic accommodations, in close collaboration with the requesting students and the academic programs.
- Use a developmental approach to partner with students to understand the accommodations process, accommodations available, how to notify faculty of their approved accommodation(s), and about other university resources and supports that are available and how to access them in support of their success.
- Liaise and facilitate any meetings between the student, faculty, staff, department (s) , and/or other stakeholders relating to the implementation or appropriateness of accommodations.
- Collaborate with academic programs to ensure the provision of appropriate resources for students participating in field placements/clinical experiences.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to develop and conduct trainings/workshops/demonstrations training towards Universal Accessibility in all areas of teaching, programming, and design.
- Focus on testing needs and support throughout the quarter and expecially during mid-term and final exams by proctoring exams when needed.
- Maintain timely, confidential, and detailed files for all OOA students.
- In consultation with the Assistant VP of Student Affairs, serve on University and departmental committees as well as other duties assigned to support the mission of the department, division, and University.
- Conduct outreach to all students during orientation and throughout the year to encourage disabled students (and those with intersecting identities) to affiliate with the Office of Accessibility.
- Periodically evaluate OOA through student, staff, and faculty surveys.
- Perform other related tasks, duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or directed.
- Proficient computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); in addition, experience with Disability Accommodation tracking software CampusNexus Anthology, or other student information systems.
- Demonstrated record of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to review and interpret psychoeducational evaluations and other forms of supporting documentation provided to accompany accommodation requests. This can be demonstrated through coursework, work experience, or a combination of both.
- Demonstrated ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists while working within strict deadlines and providing timely responses to students, faculty, and other constituents.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to exercise discretion and tact in all interpersonal contacts, and to always maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to teach and provide in-person training, workshops, and present information effectively and respond to questions from individuals.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a cohesive team.
- Ability to respond and address changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of FERPA and HIPAA in the context of OOA.
- Excellent customer-service skills, including sensitivity to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and diverse background.
- Ability to be optimistic, positive, and supportive in all interactions with others.
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with tack and diplomacy.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant degree area such as Psychology, Counseling, School Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, Education, Social Work, Higher Education, Special Education. A Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience working with persons with disabilities in a college or university setting. Experience with:
- reviewing and evaluating documentation to determine accommodations;
- interpreting federal laws and regulations governing the provision of services to persons with disabilities including the ADA and Sections 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- supporting students with disabilities wo are engaging in internships and externships, field placements, practicums, etc.
- with student affairs and/or student development.
Certifications, Licenses, etc.: None
- Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter.
Background Check Requirements:
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check (including criminal, prior employment and education verification). Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current University employees who apply for the position.
Anti-Discrimination Policy: Alliant International University prohibits unlawful discrimination, harassment or retaliation in its educational programs, services and activities, and in employment practices, including but not limited to internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, relationships with outside vendors, use of contractors and consultants, and in its admission or access thereto, on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin or descent, color, creed, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability (including physical, disease, psychiatric or psychological disability), medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, hair style or texture associated with race, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Alliant International University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to ensuring a high quality of education through the diversity of the University community and the curriculum. Women, people of color, people with disabilities and people from other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply, as we actively seek to increase diversity at all levels. The University will conduct its programs, services and activities consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and orders.
Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person’s identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Human Resources at mailto:email@example.com or 858-635-4509.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires that we provide you with this https://bertelsmann-hr.de/recruiting/Alliant%20CCPA%20Notice%20at%20Collection%20for%20CA%20Employees%20%20Applicants_012521.pdf https://bertelsmann-hr.de/recruiting/Alliant%20CCPA%20Notice%20at%20Collection%20for%20CA%20Employees%20%20Applicants_012521.pdf. This notice is about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read this notice carefully.
Governing legislation: Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the regulations implementing these statutes, and applicable federal and California law.
Alliant International University is a smoke and tobacco free environment.
Company: Alliant International University, Inc.
Country: United States of America
Postal Code: 94608
Job ID: 206177
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2958516
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Accessibility Specialist (Hybrid-2 days per week on Emeryville Campus) (Emeryville, CA, USA) ]